Recognition and Equation of Qualifications
The Commission undertakes recognition and equation of Degrees, Post – graduate Diplomas and Post – graduate certificates conferred or awarded by Foreign universities and Institutions in accordance with Section 5.(1)(g) of The Universities Act No. 42 of 2012, The University Regulations, 2014 and The University Standards and Guidelines set by the Commission from time to time.
Section A: Criteria for Recognition and Equation of Qualifications:
- The qualifications should have been obtained from an accredited and recognized university or institution.
- The holder of the Award must have met the Minimum Entry Requirements for a course leading to a similar award in Kenya.
- All copies of certificates and academic transcripts presented as proof of attainment of Entry requirements for a particular qualification must be certified by an Advocate and Commissioner for Oaths, OR the issuing university/institution.
- For recognition of Bachelor’s Degree qualifications, the holder of the Award must have must have obtained:
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) with a Mean Grade of C+ and above or its equivalent, OR
- A Diploma from an Accredited and Recognized Tertiary Institution with a minimum of a credit , OR
- KCSE Mean Grade C (plain) or equivalent with a Post-Secondary Certificate and Diploma from a recognized institution, OR
- The Kenya Certificate of Education (KCE), East African Certificate of Education (EACE) "Ordinary Level" Division II or equivalent, plus a Post-Secondary Certificate and a Diploma from a recognized institution, OR
- The Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education (KACE) "Advanced Level" with two Principal passes and a subsidiary, OR
- Pre-University course as a qualification for University entrance
- For recognition of Master’s Degree, post-graduate Diploma or post-graduate certificate qualifications, the holder of the Award must present a certified copy of a recognized bachelor’s degree certificate with academic transcripts.
- For recognition of Doctorate Degree qualifications, the holder of the Award must present a certified copy of recognized bachelor's and master’s degree certificates with academic transcripts.
- Equation of qualifications is based on:
- Duration of study and credit hours for a given qualification;
- Previous qualifications before enrolling for the given qualification;
- Content and duration of study (Academic transcript must be presented for this).
- In case of professional programmes, registeration to practice in the country of origin.
Section B: Fees Chargeable for Recognition and Equation of Qualifications
The Commission for University Education charges fees for services rendered for Recognition and Equation of degrees, post-graduate diplomas, post-graduate certificates or such other academic awards conferred or awarded by foreign universities.
Effective 14th November 2014, non-refundable fees should be paid as follows:
- Application charges for Recognition and Equation of Qualifications (REQ):
a) first application - KES 6,000 (per institution)
b) Subsequent application for REQ on the same academic award - KES 3,600
- Application charges for recognition and equation of qualifications (REQ) by holder of the academic award express service (same day service) - KES 10,000
- Application charges for recognition and equation of qualifications by prospective employer or any other body within the Republic of Kenya - KES 12,000
- Application charges for recognition and equation of qualifications by prospective employer or any other body outside the jurisdiction of the Republic of Kenya - USD 300
Payments should be made through the Bank or M-PESA using the following account details:
Account Name: Commission for University Education Kenya Commercial Bank Ltd.
Moi Avenue Branch
P.O Box 30081
Account Number: 1108031625
SWIFT CODE : KCBLKENX
Note: When using M-PESA, provide your full name and identity card number when prompted for your account number.
Section C: Procedure for Recognition and Equation of Qualifications
You may apply for Recognition and Equation of Qualifications manually or through an online system as described below:
Manual application for Recognition and Equation of Qualifications
Submit the following to the Commission for University Education:
- A duly filled application Form CUE/QAS/1 for recognition of degrees, post-graduate diplomas and post-graduate certificates.
- Certified true copies of ALL required certificate and academic transcripts (see Section A for details).
- Submit certified copies of academic transcripts to support the certificates.
- Certificates must be certified by:
- An Advocate and Commissioner of Oaths;
- The respective issuing university/institution.
- Where certificates and transcripts are in aforeign language, translated copies bearing the official stamp of the local Embassy of the home country of the university issuing the certificates and transcripts.
- Kenyan Citizens to submit a copy of national ID card and foreigners to submit a copy of valid passport, work permit/Visa and Letter of admission/intent into Kenyan Universities.
To apply online click: Online application for Recognition and Equation of Qualifications
1. Submission of applications and collection of letters is done during CUE office hours:
Morning: 8.00 am – 1.00 pm Afternoon: 2.00 p.m. - 5.00 p.m.
2. Letters of recognition to be collected within 48 hours (if application is manual) or within 36 hours if application is done online.
3. Application for express service must reach CUE before 13:00 Hrs/ 1.00p.m.